Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Spice up your Gluten-Free Life

This is the one baking mix to which I give five whopping stars. I buy it regularly and it's so amazing even gluten-eaters can't get enough of it.

All you need is two eggs, 1/3 cup of vegetable oil, a cup of buttermilk, and a package of Gluten-Free Pantry's Spice Cake & Gingerbread Mix. I highly suggest using smaller pans (I do teenie little cupcakes) and baking for longer than suggested to really get a nice tough crust on the outside of your cakes.

This serves two purposes: 1, if you're no stranger to GF baking, you know that a lot of our baked goods go bad much more quickly than regular flour-based sweets. The tough exterior will help the cake keep a little longer.

And 2, the crust is the most delicious part. Especially if you grease your pan with copious amounts of butter like I do. Mmmmm.

Clearly, not a vegan recipe what with the buttermilk and eggs, but my veggie friends love it. And I can't get enough of it.

I think the packages are something like $5 tops. Worth it on every level. Enjoy.

5 comments:

Lyss said...

The GF Pantry coffee cake mix is fantastic as well...it calls for an obscene amount of butter, but it's beyond delicious! I'm going to have to try these cupcakes now...:)

William said...

Their favourite sandwich bread is really good as well. Rises a little, and tends to blacken a bit much, but quite good. My dad loves the stuff.

sawyer said...

So this doesn't really count as a "food" but you can make food with it =]

My Grandpa was also diagnosed with Celiac Disease and got tired of trying to find places that sold good tasting and completely gluten-free products, so he made his own flour. I'm not sure if it's your kind of thing but you should give it a try.

http://www.glutenfreeflour.com/

Anonymous said...

thank you so much for quoting spice girls in a gluten-free spice cakey way.

Anonymous said...

Danielle, this company is not far from where I live! Thanks for boosting this small, yummy company with your thumbs up! I wish I could eat more of their products, but many have dairy in the mix. :(