Monday, October 6, 2008

Bell & Evans Breaded Chicken Breast Nuggets - Ta$ty with lots of $$


Freaking delicious.

I kind of lied in my bio: I miss pizza and donuts, but I REALLY miss chicken nuggets. It was my mom's guilty pleasure when it came to feeding me & my brother quickly when we were kids, and my dad's guilty pleasure when we were pleading for a trip to McDonald's.

I just bought this brand of chicken nuggets tonight at Maggie's, our local health food store. They're terribly overpriced, but I can walk there, and often that seals the deal for the extra dollar or two I'll spend.

I paid $6.99 for the small box, which made each chicken nugget almost $0.60 apiece. That's freaking expensive, but I have a feeling it's just my health food store; you can probably find it cheaper elsewhere.

Regardless, they were DELICIOUS. Just right. The only other GF chicken nuggets I've tried have been the Wellshire Kids brand, which are REALLY good but don't taste quite as healthy and natural as these ones did. (Plus, the Wellshire Kids ones are a little on the spicy side, and they're shaped like dinosaurs... both of which are actually a big bonus to me!)

Buyer beware: The Bell & Evans nuggets are uncooked, which means you need to be sure they're cooked all the way through when you take them out of the oven. The suggested max time of 30 minutes took care of this for me. Each nugget was fully cooked, a healthy size, and tasted like a gourmet bite-sized chicken finger.

They're breaded with rice & corn flour and you can kind of taste it, but it didn't bother me at all. They do include xanthan gum, so but I wasn't unusually gassy afterwards (you do know that xanthan gum is a mild laxative, right? 'Cause it is).

So all told, Bell & Evans does a mean chicken nugget that tastes perfect and has a perfect texture, but I hope you can find them for less than $7 a box. If you do, snatch them up immediately.

2 comments:

Jemiah said...

Man, those are expensive! And yet, if I'm ever ridiculously wealthy, it's good to know the brand. I don't actually have to adhere to a gluten-free diet, but I do feel a lot better physically if I keep it to a minimum... Thanks for the resource, and thanks some more for a wonderful comic.

marylandceliac said...

You must try the Bell and Evans Chicken Tenders - they are even better than the nuggets!! I have included them in my favorite foods list on my new blog and used them to make fantastic chicken parmesan.
http://glutenfreeoptimist.blogspot.com/